Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Two Things

First, in regards to an older post, I was wrong, I can not really understand why people of faith who are elected to represent all of the people in their district vote against equality. I guess I wanted to sound tolerant of organized religion. I don't know why, since I'm not. I never fault the individual but the church is so destructive. Hate the organization, not the individual. Hate the sin, not the sinner. Hm.

Secondly, I am really, really frustrated and disappointed in the New Jersey legislature. It is not looking good here in the Garden State (also, Garden State? How could that NOT be gay?!). Five republican Sentors (Keane, Kean, Ciesla, Bateman and Beck) came out against the bill, instead saying they could fix New jersey's Civil Unions Law, in effect saying the legislature didn't do it's job.

A few years ago, the New Jersey court system declared that restricting the benefits for "marriage" to heterosexual couples was unlawful. An institution identical to marriage was created, and the legislature was given the task of choosing either "civil union" or "marriage." They went with civil union.

The courts made it so that on paper, the two legal structures are identical so, in effect, they are claiming that there is a fundamental flaw in the New Jersey Marriage Laws. It's ridiculous. The only way to fix the law is to just call it marriage, but they can't get their heads out of their asses to see it that way.

I keep trying to remember that I am on the right side of history, the winning side, but it's hard to always look up when you keep getting slapped in the face.

1 comment:

  1. I agree Evan. I've been "slapped in the face" on this issue also. My husband and I were married in San Francisco on Valentine's Day 2004, only to have the California Supreme Court declare our marriage "null and void." Then we married again in August 2008, only to have Prop 8 pass. At least those of us who married stay married, but only here, not nationally/federally. But I do take solace in the future. By the exit poll numbers that I saw, Prop 8 failed among everyone under age 65 but was approved by 2/3 of the over 65 group. And an identical proposition that wasn't a Constitutional amendment passed by over 61% in 2000, but by 52.2% in 2008. I am hopeful but nervous for 2012, and the federal appeal of Prop 8 that goes to trial next month.

    ReplyDelete