Thursday, December 31, 2009

Dear 2009

FUCK YOU.

Sorry, it slipped. I tried to hold back, but you were just one shitstorm after another. I have never been so happy to see a year pass than you. Not 1998, when my best friend was killed in a skiing accident and Matthew Shepard was brutally murdered. Not 2001 when the towers came down and the US cemented itself as a reactive brute force in the world, rather than the savvy political negotiator I know it has the potential of becoming. Not 2003 when I went though hell for being accused and, after what seemed like forever, acquitted of a crime I did not commit. I mean sure, in January we finally saw someone other than an old white guy take the oath of office, but you were really just riding the coattails of 2008, so way to steal that thunder.

Really, what I'm clearly most pissed about is why 2009, of all years, was the biggest setback for marriage equality. And it's really, really difficult for me to write this without just getting angry. Angry at NOM, at S4MM, at the fucking Church, and every other organization hell-bent on making my status as a second class citizen a law. And the fact that first thing tomorrow morning - literally, first thing, at 12:01 AM - folks in the state right next door are going to be able to start getting married and us amoral, anti-family queers here in Maine need to rebuild our lives after giving so much only to be pushed back down. It's disgusting.

November 4th, 2009, was the hardest day of my life. Waking up that day and realizing all the work that my friends had put into the right was for naught was the most crippling feeing. Maybe I was naive but I really felt like we could have won. I felt like it was happening. And that morning, waking up the their smug fucking faces on the front of every newspaper made me sick.

But, 2009, tonight I will drink. I will drink to your death and I look forward to drinking away all memories of you. May the likes of you never again come around.

Dear 2010,

I'm watching you.

1 comment:

  1. There was progress made in 2009, despite the setbacks. (I would also add the horrible California state Supreme Court decision upholding Prop 8 to the list of bad events - it was the one lone judge appointed by a Democrat who voted to overturn Prop 8) But we had the Iowa marriage decision, victories in Vermont and New Hampshire, and the Washington (state, not DC) "marriage in everything but name" upheld by the voters, and the marriage vote in DC. Yes, Maine was a huge setback, as was Prop 8 here in California in 2008. I still think that Maine and California were losses at the polls due to the elderly. We just have to let them die off and be replaced by younger voters who have more open minds. I think that it took three tries in Maine to have anti-discrimination laws not be overturned by the voters.

    I understand your anger and bitterness, and I feel it too. So end the year and let's move on to better things in the future. And thank you for all the hard work that you do for the rest of us.

    ReplyDelete