Friday, January 22, 2010

There's no place like the city just to the south of the place you call home

The restaurant that I used to work for had two locations within 20 minutes of each other. One day I had to go to the other location, in the city, for a delivery or a a pickup or whatever. It was winter, so there was a drastic reduction in the number of parking spots available along the streets. Snow. Lots and lots of snow. So I found a parking spot and used it. I was only going to be in the restaurant for about 10 minutes, so no biggie, I assumed. Boy was I wrong.

Turns out, it was the courthouse's parking lot and I had taken the spot of an employee who was returning from lunch, Uh oh. I get back to my car and it's blocked by the employee's car. Shit. Some old, fat security grump comes out and starts yelling at me about how it's a crime to park there, that I was stupid for not reading the sign (which was very, very old and was difficult to read in the first place) and really doing a bang-up job of representing the government.

He goes back inside to get the guy who had blocked me in. The guy comes out, all smiles, shakes my hand and says "hey, don't worry about it... I left my keys in the ignition so you could move the cars around, but I guess I should have left a note."

And that, that right there, is why I love this state.

1 comment:

  1. That's a level of trust that I don't have. Good to hear that there are places like that.

    ReplyDelete